Friday, January 27, 2012

Little Brown Brothers


We've talked to Luci several times about the fact that she is adopted. (Just like my parents did for me early on.) It's a hard concept for a five year old so she still asks questions like "Did I do that when I was in your belly?" or "Did I do that when you brought me home from the hospital". I always remind her that God grew her in another mommy's belly while she was growing in my heart.
My mom had this up on the wall in our house growing up and is now in their room in the "new house": Not flesh of my flesh Nor bone of my bone, But still miraculously my own. Never forget for a single minute, You didn't grow under my heart, But in it. ~unknown author
Keeping that in mind, Luci has always talked about how she has brown skin and Mommy doesn't. (Adam's can get dark in the summer but not as much as her's.)She'll often say she has Daddy's skin and Lorelai has Mommy's skin. She has always been drawn to other children with brown skin-my best friend's oldest who is part Middle Eastern, our pastor's children who are Caucasian with a natural tan, brown eyes & hair, and (of course) one of the children adopted in our church from Korea. So it really came as no surprise when we told Luci a few months ago that we had plans to adopt one or more brothers for her and Lorelai that she asked us for little brown brothers.
 So of course we've passed that along to our case worker. Our first preference is Hispanic or Native American. Of course, the Indian Child Welfare Act does apply to most Native American children. America has a history of Caucasian couples adopting Native American children to "save" them from their culture and assimilating them to Caucasian culture. That's why the ICWA has been in place since about 1976. It gives their own nation (tribe-which is a Caucasian term) and family the choice of adopting them first, then other nations (again, the correct word for tribe) before looking at families of other races.
Adam had many years of working at Broken Arrow Bible Ranch in New Mexico. Most of the campers are Native American-mostly Dine` (Navajo) which has woven a special place in Adam and my hearts. We are more than happy to keep any future children immersed in their culture to the best of our ability. Luci has her own library of children's books on Guatemala with more to come. We'd love to take her there one day too.
Well yesterday Luci asked if we could have one brother with her skin (brown) and one with Lorelai's skin (which, by my own skin's definition is glow-in-the-dark, get a sunburn from bright indoor lighting white). I told her that combination might be a bit harder to find but that God already knows our future family and He is preparing their hearts and ours for the growth of our family.
 I also pray that He gives them short term memory of the things they have endured. That God will heal the scar tissue on their hearts as well as their bodies (if present). That we, our family, and church family will help expand the size of their little hearts till God's light shines through them. And that I don't go crazy from the inability to plan things! LOL. (Walmart had a huge clearance the other day and I couldn't buy a sing thing since I don't know about sizes. I hope some people with hand-me-downs sitting around find us.) So here's to our following God's will and loving what ever child(ren) he blesses us with. "Red and Yellow, Black and White. We are precious in His sight"
"Behold, children are a heritage from the LORD, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one’s youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with his enemies in the gate." (Psalms 127:3-5 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment