Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Home Study-Yikes and Whew!

Okay, let's just get this clear: The whole point of the three hour interview we just went through was to best get to know us as individuals so that they can find a child/children who our family will best fit. That makes sense. The better they know us and what we are looking for so that they can make the best decision when the time comes.

With that said: it's really hard to answer questions like "How's your life on the intimacy level?",  "What are the areas of your relationship that you think needs improvement", "What do you expect academically and socially of your children as they grow up?", "What are some behaviors/disabilities you would not be able to handle in a child coming into your home?"  And my personal favorite: "Now that your spouse is out of the room is there anything else you'd like to tell me?" Are you kidding? What could I say in front of a stranger that my best friend wouldn't already know?  What made it weirder and also easier is that I grew up with our caseworker. I kinda miss our old crew and wish we could have done this with them. Andrea, Melissa and Mary really have a place in our hearts.

It was weird because I did come away feeling that us spending so much time as a family came across as a negative. I hope that's just how I took it not how she really felt.

No comments:

Post a Comment